You are currently viewing A/R: Vice-President, National Chief Imam donate towards Police station project at Ejura

A/R: Vice-President, National Chief Imam donate towards Police station project at Ejura

The Vice-President, Alhaji Dr. Mahammudu Bawumia, has donated 1, 000 bags of cement and cash of GH¢50,000 towards the construction of a Police Divisional Office at Ejura in the Ashanti Region.

The project is designed to resource the Police to enhance security in the area.

It comes in the wake of the recent violent clashes between some youth in the area and security personnel, leading to the death of two young men from the Dagomba-Line Muslim Community.

Alhaji Dr. Bawumia, who was on a visit to Ejura on Friday, July 02, and accompanied by the National Chief Imam, Shiekh Dr. Osman Sharabutu, in a speech read on his behalf, in a meeting with the traditional authorities, expressed worry at the tragedy.

The government, he said, was saddened by the loss of the precious lives, and assured the people of its commitment to probe the unfortunate issue to its logical conclusion.

According to the Vice-President, the aim was to avert such occurrences in future, and appealed to the people of Ejura to remain calm.

He prayed for the departed souls, saying, the government had stepped up efforts to support the affected families in the shooting incident.

Alhaji Dr. Bawumia said everything was being done to console the bereaved families in their difficult moments.

On his part, the National Chief Imam also donated 500 bags of cement and GH¢2, 000.00 towards the project.

In a speech read on his behalf, he said the Muslim community was praying for the souls of the deceased men.

He advised the youth and affected families to exercise restraint and remain calm as the government had commissioned a Ministerial Committee to probe the issue.

The deceased, Nasiru Yussif and Murtala Mohammed, both in their 20s, were buried in line with Islamic tradition by the Dagomba-Line Muslim Community at Ejura, on Tuesday evening, June 29.

The violence leading to the shooting incident and subsequent demise of the two men was triggered by the death of one Ibrahim Mohammed, alias Kaaka, 45, who was said to have been brutally assaulted while returning home on a motorbike on Saturday night.

He died at the Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital (KATH) three days after the attack, after his transfer from the Ejura Government Hospital.

What was expected to be a peaceful demonstration on Monday, following the burial of Kaaka, turned violent as the protesters clashed with the security personnel detailed to maintain order, resulting in the deaths of the two young men.
Source: Ashantibiz